ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is characterized by such symptoms as an inability to focus, not considering consequences of various actions, and even the inability to be still. Many times the symptoms can interfere with a sufferer’s quality of life. They find that they are making bad choices, turning people against them, and even suffering from financial difficulties due to forgetting to pay important bills or focus at work.
Some people seek out medical treatment for ADHD, and find that the treatments are scarier than the illness with many side effects that they don’t want to deal with. Thankfully, there are some natural treatments for ADHD that you can try if the medical and pharmaceutical treatments don’t work for you or aren’t right for you for whatever reasons – such as side effects or affordability.
* Eliminate Certain Things from Your Diet – Many people believe that additives and food colorings can promote issues with ADHD. It won’t hurt to try an elimination diet to get rid of these potential causes of ADHD. Try eliminating added sugars, processed foods, and unnatural food colorings and preservatives.
* Avoid Various Allergens – In addition to eliminating the above from your diet, try getting rid of milk, eggs, chocolate and wheat to figure out if you’re having an allergic reaction to these common food ingredients.
* Try Biofeedback – An EEG is attached to the head to measure brainwaves, and then certain activities are done to see what activities cause issues with paying attention. The machine can tell when the person is concentrating and when they’re not, thus enabling the therapist to recommend coping techniques.
* Get Regular Massage – Many people with ADHD have a very hard time relaxing, so doing things that help improve the ability to relax such as massage can help improve the ability to concentrate.
* Get Regular Exercise – Any type of exercising is going to help your brain work better due to the increased oxygen intake and the focus required to exercise. Try yoga or tai chi for the best results. Exercises that you can do alone that force focus are best.
* Consider Supplements – It is best to get a blood test to find out if you have a deficiency before using supplements, but many people have reported results from herbs such as ginkgo biloba.
* Eat Regularly – Dips and dives in blood sugar can cause problems with focus and concentration. Try to eat six small meals per day to keep your blood sugar regulated.
* Find Ways to Improve Sleep – A good night’s sleep can improve a lot of factors to do with losing focus. Try meditation and taking a hot bath with lavender essential oils to help you relax enough to sleep well.
* Limit Screen Time – One of the biggest factors today in our lives that cause lack of attention are screens. Try to limit the time you spend on screens before work and before bed to help your mind focus.
By trying these natural treatments before or in place of medication, you may find that you don’t need to introduce potentially dangerous chemicals into your life. Many people can control their ADHD symptoms naturally given the time and effort to do so.